It has been some time since I last posted on our website. My apologies! I’m sure you can understand that between work, kids and caring for a home, it can be hard to find the time to write!
The Girls on the Spectrum Drop-in is still going strong since we opened our doors on Sunday, October 15th, 2017! Since then, more than 30 different girls have visited the Drop-in with an average of ten girls attending each Sunday’s group.
2018 was a busy year with many different activities taking place:
- The Girls on the Spectrum Parent Support Group held its first meeting in January 2018. This group meets once a month at Orleans United Church and offers parents an opportunity to share their stories and discuss resources available in the community.
- The Teen Girls on the Spectrum Group was started. Teen girls meet monthly and go on fun adventures in the community
- Monthly visits from Expérience Unik, a local organization that provides animal therapy visits – a favourite with the girls!
- Girls on the Spectrum was awarded a grant of $1000 from the Awesome Foundation of Ottawa – these funds went to purchasing activity supplies and covering costs for activities such as visits from Experience Unik;
- The Drop-in also received a grant from Autism Ontario to help with program costs;
- The Program received the Leading Women, Building Communities Award on International Women’s Day – awarded by MPP Marie-France Lalonde.
- The Girls on the Spectrum Drop-in was featured in the Observer Magazine.
- In April, the Group took part in “Autism on the Hill” to show its support for all people with Autism.
- Author Christine Jenkins visited the Drop-in to discuss her new book she co-authored – Spectrum Women: Walking to the Beat of Autism.
- Plus a Hawaiian Day, a pyjama party, a paint day, a Halloween Party a Christmas Party and much more!
What will 2019 hold for the Girls on the Spectrum Drop-in?
- The next Support Group meeting will take place on Thursday, January 17th at 7 pm in room 12 at Orleans United Church – 1111 Orleans Blvd;
- Teen girl group outings take place on a monthly basis – for more information on the next events please visit Teen Girls on the Spectrum on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Autism2019;
- Monthly pet visits with Expérience Unik – the next visit will be on Sunday, January 13th;
- Theme Sundays;
- Music Therapy sessions;
- participation in Autism on the Hill on April 3rd at 12:15 p.m.;
- Participation in the Ottawa Race Weekend, Sunday, May 26th and the Autism Speaks Canada Walk on Sunday, June 2nd;
- an Information Fair for Girls on the Spectrum with Speakers on Girls and Autism on Sunday, March 3rd from 1-3 p.m. at Orleans United Church; and
- much more!
For more information on the Drop-in including interviews and newspaper/magazine articles, please see previous posts below or email us at email@example.com or visit us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/girlsonthespectrumottawa/